First, I spent some time doing this.
Yes, I started binding one of my older ROD journals and then ripped it all out and then re-did it. Do I like it better. YES. Am I completely satisfied. Nope. But now I know a bit more about these two bindings.
for example, some bindings look better spaced apart, and some work better with narrow signatures. This would look MUCH better with fatter signatures. But it was a pretty easy binding and I'd definitely do it again. It's from one of Kevin Smith's books.
This is how my journal ended up looking. You won't find this binding in his fabulous book, but the ideas are all there. I just kind of wandered away.
Oh, and when/if you wander off the instructions, take a moment and think. Just a few moments might save you some trouble. Just saying.
Like don't cut out a hole for an eyelet that ends up being much bigger than you need (both the hole and the eyelet) so that you have to actually sew the eyelet in even after you've tried to hammer one onto your journal like a dozen times. Not a dozen times, just like that. About that.
A not good photo of a good button.
And here it is. Not at all what I had planned.
Oh, right. There was no plan.