Since I was going to make covers for my next envelope journal, of course I decided to make a cover for something else instead. I have a lot of text blocks from books I've ripped apart for the covers. I love the texture of good old book paper, so I have a hard time just chucking them. And no, there isn't much I have a easy time chucking.
Since I had been looking for potential cardboard covers, I came across some I'd spray painted. Or really, this was the cardboard I used to blot the stencils when they got thick with wet paint.
Anyway, a bit of left over paper and some duct tape later… voila.
I'm not sure how this might hold up. It will be interesting to see, and I guess it's a bit of a test. I don't have anything to stitch through to more securely fix the block to the cover, which is what I want to do. I'll have to observe and consider.
The last salvaged book I made like this, the text blocks just floated inside a shell cover I made to protect it. I made it to give myself something to just junk around in, but in the end I loved the texture of the paper with neo-colors and gouache.